Let It Snow – Should I Shovel My Deck?
Winter is just about here, and that means snow! Shoveling can be a pain, and the last thing you want to do after you’ve shoveled your driveway and front walk is shovel your back porch. Naturally, you may be wondering “do I need to shovel my deck?” Good news for your back: for the most part, you don’t! For those who have plastic or PVC decks, they don’t absorb moisture, so shoveling isn’t necessary. If you have a wood deck, your deck is likely made of treated wood. If this is the case, your deck is mostly protected from wood rot and mildew. Unfortunately, though, sometimes shoveling is necessary. If that’s the case, here are a few tips from Harmony Decking to ensure the act of shoveling doesn’t ruin your deck.
The Dos and Don’ts of Shoveling Your Deck
In some cases, shoveling is actually harmful to your deck if you don’t do it correctly. That’s why Harmony Decking is here with the dos and don’ts of shoveling your deck:
- DON’T: Use metal shovels on your deck. You may accidentally gouge out sections of your deck.
- DO: Use plastic shovels. They’re less aggressive on your deck. You can also use a deck or corn brush for light powdery snow.
- DON’T: Shovel perpendicular to the boards. Again, this could cause scrapes and gouging in the deck.
- DO: Shovel parallel to the board placement. This prevents you from catching the edge of a board and causing damage.
- DON’T: Use an ice chipper on your deck. Ice chippers are nearly guaranteed to also chip your deck.
- DO: Use pet-safe chemicals to melt the ice. These coincidentally are also the safest for your deck. You can also check out your local hardware store for soft ice melt.
Keep Your Deck Safe This Winter – Skip the Shoveling
For the most part, shoveling your deck isn’t necessary. Decks are built to hold the weight of snow. It’s best to only shovel your deck if you need an escape route or if the snow is higher than the railings. For more tips on winter deck care and maintenance, or to have one of our experts check that your deck is winter-safe, give Harmony Decking a call at 215-290-7727 or fill out our online form!